I’m currently playing it. What an amazing game. I’ll write my thoughts more on this game in the future.
Playing reminded me of an anime I watched in 2018 called Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion. It’s on Crunchyroll to watch. I quite liked it back then. It’s not mind blowing but still an interesting tale. A tale of desperation and bravery trying to survive the Mongols.
I’m actually thinking of re-watching again after finishing the game. New context from the game may improve how much I enjoy it again. Perhaps I could read the manga instead!
It’ a brutal anime with violence but that’s the reality of war.
With all the Studio Ghibli collection on Netflix I’ve dove into watching all of them a second time again. Most of them I watched starting in 2011. So it’s been many moons since seeing them again except for When Marnie was There which was my first go.
So far I’ve watched Marnie, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso and Tales from Earthsea.
Now before my second watch I would have put the last three near the bottom of the Ghibli favorites but I’ve changed my opinion. Some things just marinate well and a mature old person brain like my own will start to appreciate small details that were missed the first time. I’ll skip taking about Marnie at the moment as it’s newer and my first time watching.
Porco Rosso blew me away the second watch. I highly recommend.
- The colour palette looked rich and lush. They did a wonderful job cleaning it up for the crappy version I originally watched. The dazzling water,beaches and blue skies make me want to book a trip to the Adriatic Sea.
- I noticed this time around how cute the kidnapped little girls were with their squealing and mischief to the captors. They were never scared even when in peril.
- The villains looked tough but never in a frightening way.
- As an old adult now, I wanted to be in Gina’s bar listening to her sing. I thought Gina was a bland character first time but now I see how much more complex she was, hurt from loving airman and scared to love and lose Porco.
- I loved the scene with all the Italian women coming together to build the airplane. Even though it was manual labor they all came together in glee to help.
- The soundtrack was great especially when matched to the plane fighting scenes.
- The pilots floating up to the heavens was beautiful and touching.
Pom Poko has got to be one of the most underrated Ghilbi movies.
- It’s damn cute. I like how they show the raccoon as chibi adorable when humans aren’t around and realistic looking other times.
- It is a great example of how movements can be fractured. For example do you use more violence for your cause or try more pragmatic approaches. It bodes well with today’s protest climate.
- It is an amazing vehicle to talk about environmental concerns of over development etc. This had me thinking more about human’s footprint on the environment than anything Greta could shame me about.
- I would love to see this shown to all elementary school students but it won’t happen because of the Tanuki balls. lol
- The Spring fever scene rivals Bambi’s characters in first love. In fact I think it is more saucy fun!
- The voice acting is spot on. The characters really matched the personality of their raccoon.
Tales from Earthsea I did not really enjoy the first time. I thought is was boring as dust. But this second time I really did like it a lot. There are some big things that could have been improved but overall it wasn’t the trash I once thought it was.
- I’ve never read the book but plan on reading them now. I get the feeling I’m missing out on a lot of Sparrowhawk and Therru lore.
- The first time I though Arren and Therru were just angsty. Now I see how they are products of things they couldn’t help.
- The look of the land and cities was beautifully done.
- Sparrowhawk still came off a bit bland with the voice acting. I wish he was a bit more exciting. (That’s why I need to read the books to see if the portrayal was on point or not.)
- The music and sound effects were lack luster. There was a few beautiful songs but I felt like to much of the movie was lacking that music to give momentum, joy or suspense. I would love to go back and incorporate more of the sound tracks in it.
- The character design for Lord Cob was crap. I just didn’t buy it. (Again I need to read the book to see what the author’s vision was.) He felt like a poor man’s Orochimaru from Naruto.
- The design of the dragon was beautiful 10/10.
Coming next time will be Howl’s Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart and Castle in the Sky.
It’s Sunday and the servers are getting swollen. Looks like there will be mega queues tomorrow. Even with four new servers on Monday I believe they will fill up instantly.
I bet many people are buying their sub tomorrow as they aren’t as invested in getting a specific name. Kudos to them as I think I fell for the bait myself and then only getting one name I really wanted from a list of six. And then I went for RP PVP which has strict naming rules so it was a fluke my name fit in the parameters.
I do plan on making an Alliance on Old Blanchy tomorrow. I can’t resist as I’m old in RL and the name has Old in it. Perhaps it will be the Gen X and Boomer server!
MY TIPS FOR BEATING THE QUEUE:
- If you are PST go for an EST server. With the three hour difference hopefully the kiddies will be logging of when you are logging in.
- The second you get home from work log in and then go shower, eat dinner and hopefully it will be not to long of a wait after that.
I took off the first week of September because I know the first week will be a gong show with queues. I want my time off to be spent not pulling my hair out. I’m going hang loose this week and just accept the fact of the long wait to play.
Recently when commuting home I asked my adult kid to put on Gary Numan’s Cars on Spotify. We jammed out and then the auto play put on another song by Mr. Numan called M.E. Well it left us gobsmacked. We knew right away that this was a special song.
Why? Where’s Your Head At by Basement Jaxx was using this as the track! My kids used to love playing Disney’s Extreme Skate Adventure and this was a song on that soundtrack. I hope he got royalties!
So I it got me real curious about this song. I can feel so many bands were inspired by his vibe like MGMT. I have no proof but just a hunch. So I went off to GENIUS and found the info on the song.
It’s really brilliant. M.E. stands for mechanical engineering.
The song M.E. is sung from the point of view of the last living machine on Earth. The people have all died, the planet is laid waste and its own power source is running down, I used to have a picture in my mind of this sad and desperately alone machine standing in a desert-like wasteland, just waiting to die.
With all the talk of A.I. recently I feel like Mr. Numan was a real visionary way back in 1979. This search lead me to the discovery of a book “Gary Numan Tracks Song By Song Album By Album: Volume 1 by Paul Goodwin” that is about every song he wrote and the meaning behind them. I think I will check it out once I catch up with my reading list.
I was lucky enough in a way to be around at the end of Vanilla. I’ve bought every expansion released thereafter. I’ve had mini hiatuses with the game. The longest being with BfA.
This time around I wanted to do everything as different as I can. This is my opportunity to have the perfect play through. So I’m rolling a male Orc Shaman. The one class I have never leveled. All my mains have been female Belfs before.
Here he is!
I am also rolling on Grobbulus as it is the only RP-PVP server. I’ve never RP’d before and love PVP so it seemed a good fit. Honestly, I’m going to give it my best go and if I’m not feeling it I will just pay for the server transfer. I will level engineering and mining as I plan to make PVP my first priority.
I have even registered with a guild before launch. I scoured all the forums read up on what the guilds offer. I want a big size guild that does RP and PVP. I seems I found it. Fingers crossed it works out well.
I have two bank alts made. A shadow priest Troll who will do enchanting and tailoring to make me bags. Also a Forsaken rogue to collect herbs and make potions. I may be advantageous with my plan and if it is costing to much gold I will let them rest until my main is level 60.
Here’s to trying new things and approaches!
With nothing to do while waiting for Classic WoW I started watching old WoW Machinima. I think I watched every Oxhorn video. His ROFLMAO! has 17 million views.
Gosh that guy is talented. I just found out he has written a book too which I plan to buy on Kindle called The Tale of Cloran Hastings.
Also loved the funniest naughty one called First of May. Trust me this video will make you blush and feel a little hot under the collar. lmao!
This has me itching to make my own WoW movies just for shits and giggles. So I watched Nixxiom’s tutorials and downloaded WoW Model Viewer. All hyped I opened it up and got the dreaded ERROR messages. Off to the forums which seemed to have minimal action. Worried I found their Discord instead. I posted to get help but nothing. Yet I noticed them talking among themselves so it must be a cliquey thing. Le sigh…..
It seems many people have the same issues. As its a free resource it takes time for updates. I would be willing to pay if I could get a working version. I’m almost ready to offer someone to Teamviewer into my comp to see if they can get it running but who to ask that can be trusted?
When I start it, I say yes to load World of Warcraft. After I say yes to load the viewer another box pops up asking for Locale. The first choice closes the program. The second choice enUS(8.20(31478) opens it but with all white models with no textures.
A nice chap on YouTube responded a fix that worked for them was using a privater server vanilla client. And then downloading this ancient version of the Model Viewer. It sounds feasible but I’m worried with WoW Classic releasing I might screw up things worse with all these WoW folders. (I’m pretty sub par with computing.)
Here’s hoping a new version that works comes out soon!
I’ve been glued to reading the Classic WoW reddit, the official battle.net forums and peeking in here and there on Discord. The hype is real but unfortunately some drama is too. In my opinion it’s not even worth the freak out but for others they must scream and pout and post over and over.
Photo by maps 08 – Crossroads by Mywaterdishisempty
- The naming drama: Imagine not getting the name you want and having a meltdown. I logged in two hours late and didn’t get any of my HunterXHunter names I coveted. Good for the people who scored them. I just kept trying and trying and I did score a total favorite character I have so overall I was happy. The lesson: you can’t always get what you want. Don’t let it lead to your misery.
- The LFG addons drama: Rumors of an LFG addon been added to Classic. I agree it sucks and I think it ruins what made Classic special, the social aspect. But what isn’t great is all the speculation. When you have all these scenarios you freak up a frenzy online. And after the drama a Blizzard blue post announced this evening they wouldn’t let any LFG addons in Classic. The lesson: Have some faith in the devs. I didn’t think for a moment it would come to fruition and it didn’t and I saved my sanity in the process.
- The mafia drama: There are a shitpost a plenty today on reddit and some people are REALLY fueling the fire. Apparently one guild is leaving a server and wants to go to a new certain server and something about an add on that can make it like a mafia environment???? I’m assuming trade like cartels on mats??? Honestly I couldn’t even keep up and the more the story goes on the more convoluted it gets. What I did notice is how certain Discord people constantly stoke the fire when it’s just about burnt out. I’m an old person now and I can’t spot that shifty behavior in a nano second. They get off on riling you up. Don’t give them the satisfaction. The lesson: Be weary of the little shits online gossiping, bad mouthing and stirring up controversy. They may act like your cyber buddy but will usually throw you under the bus when you aren’t looking.
- The server drama: How dare they make Westfall an Eastern server! Blamoo, um Blamaux, um how the hell you spell it..Blaumeux. Now how to pronounce it??? Old Blanchy is where all the old players should go to drool together! Whitemane is all 4Chan and a shit show. Herod thinks they are so awesome..ugh! Grobbulus thinks they are the most mature and will skyrocket in server size once release day comes. And then Grobbulus and Bloodsail Buccaneers will have the best retention because “mature RP” players. STREAMERS! HIDE YOUR CHILDREN… it’s Faerlina. Fairbanks is where everyone went once Whitemane was full. The lesson: Don’t believe it all. There is so much propaganda from nerds on some servers bashing others. It’s really become a gang flex thing. Play where you want on what time zone works best for you. It will be awesome no matter what you choose.
Here’s hoping your upcoming guild life in Classic WoW is drama free! Cheers! Zug Zug!
From episode 12. Looks cute.
Episode 20. Eyes look way bigger and headband motif is subtlety different. It just looks like a different animator drew her. Perhaps they are rushing now to pump out episodes and the quality is going down in the animation. Thank goodness the story is so awesome I can overlook this.